Monday, November 14, 2011

WDD 2011 I Didn't Wear Blue

Today, November 14th, 2011, is World Diabetes Day. there are a whole lot of things going on this month in regards to diabetes research, raising money, and finding a cure. I blogged about this is my previous post HERE.
The whole month of November is Diabetes Awareness Month, which, of course, being diabetic, I agree with wholeheartedly. Wearing blue on every Friday of this month, as well as today, is a way to bring attention to World Diabetes Day, as well as advocate and bring awareness for diabetes and the people living with it. (yes Meri I stole that last sentence verbatim from your blog. Thank you!).
But today was also the funeral of someone who, growing up, was like a second mother to me. She was my moms best friend, and her daughter, Kim,  was my best friend. We had all lost touch over the years, but recently, Kim and her husband bought her childhood home, the house that I practically lived in til I was 10, which happens to be right beside the house that I purchased 9 years ago. And I'm so happy they did.
And today I am not wearing blue. Today I am mourning the loss of someone who was a great lady, and my heart breaks for my neighbor and friend, as well as the rest of her family, and for her only grandchild, Haylee, who will likely never remember her grandmother who loved her so much, and will only know her through pictures.
So no, today I did not wear blue. I wasn't feeling it. Maybe next year.

3 comments: